Marketers cannot effectively reach their target audiences on social media if they don’t know where these consumers spend their time. Assumptions and educated guesses typically don’t maximize sales.
Every social media user consumes and interacts with content and brands in their own unique way. Consumers’ social media habits are strongly influenced by age, education, income and zip code.
Social media survey
A recent Animoto survey focused specifically on social media consumption by age group. Animoto is a cloud-based video creation service so much of the survey focused on video consumption habits.
The survey included 1,000 U.S. adult consumers that own smartphones, visit social media accounts and have watched videos on social media. Also surveyed were 500 U.S. adult marketers that have created at least 1 video in the last year. Survey highlights are incorporated into the infograhic below, “Where Your Audience Is Watching, Discovering, And Buying in 2020.”
Here are some highlights shared by Animoto:
- 75% of Millennials said a brand’s social media presence influences their purchasing decisions.
- Generation Z, Millennials and Generation X rated YouTube as the platform where they make purchasing decisions.
- 60% of Gen Xers prefer video when learning about a new brand or product.
- 52% of Gen Xers and 72% of Baby Boomers said video was most helpful when making a purchasing decision online.
Social media insights by age group
- Where Your Audience Is Watching, Discovering & Buying In 2020
- Report reveals growing digital engagement
- Facebook still dominates social media
- LinkedIn marketing reaches up to 663.3 million pros