The recently released “Digital 2020: Global Digital Overview Report” reinforces what marketers already know: the digital future is mobile, social and unpredictable. This comprehensive report provides a global overview plus country-specific data to show how consumers use the internet, mobile devices, social media and e-commerce. It was produced by Kepios, Hootsuite and We Are Social.
The audience, reach and social media marketing data contained in this report can help your organization more accurately target your digital marketing content and advertising campaigns.
Digital report highlights
- The internet now attracts more than 4.5 of the world’s 8 billion population.
- Global average time spent online per day: 6 hours and 43 minutes.
- The average internet user spends the equivalent of 100 days online per year.
- Consumers will spend a cumulative 1.25 billion years online in 2020.
- Social media use is outpacing population growth almost 9 to 1.
- Over 3.8 billion people use at least one social media platform.
- Mobile devices will account for more than half of all time spent online in 2020.
- Apps now consume over 90 percent of time spent on mobile devices.
- Social media accounts for half of all the time spent on mobile devices.
- With more than 60 percent of the world already using the internet, social media usage is slated to top the 50 percent mark by mid-2020.
“If we allow roughly 8 hours a day for sleep, that means we currently spend more than 40 percent of our waking lives using the internet,” wrote report author Simon Kemp. He’s the CEO of Kepios, a marketing consulting agency.
Kemp compiled essential insights into how people around the world use the internet, mobile devices, social media and e-commerce.
After publishing hundreds of pages of data, Kemp offered this tip: “Don’t just rely on research; go out onto the web and into social media and watch what’s happening for yourself.”
Social media management platform Hootsuite offered its own perspective.
“From the arrival of 5G to the loud demands of voice, it’s easy to get lost in the ever-shifting landscape of digital. To build a strong, customer-centered strategy for 2020 and beyond, keep your focus on these universal customer needs that won’t change: confidence, connection, and convenience.”